120 hp 1.6 hdi blue ETA6 2015 front near side clunking

Faults and Technical chat for the Peugeot 3008
neils380@aol.com

Post by neils380@aol.com »

At a big loss and need some urgent help please. Have searched the site to see if anyone had my issue but nothing spotted.

Out of nowhere came a metalic clunking that starts at very low speed over humps or even slight road ripples. The noise can only be heard from inside and sound like its coming from behind the passenger glove box. Car drives fine and no other sounds other than the clonking. So far I have disconected the anti roll bar link. No change. Now re fitted. Have had the breaks apart but all ok. No change. Checked spring. Upper mount. Lower ball joint. Track rod end. Checked the lower wish bone mounts. All to no evail. Have checked engine mounts etc. Steering rake is all tight. The noise is present even if free wheeling. Same if going backwards. Same with engine off and rolling. However today I discovered that if I left foot braked and kept the power on the noise goes. Even if coasting or rolling the noise goes when breaking. Re looked at breaks but absolutely nothing wrong with them. Any ideas welcome. Please.

Eddie4

Post by Eddie4 »

I have a similar problem on 1,2 pure tech 68 plate. It transpired that the roll bars overhead within the roof lining are loose; going in this week for fix. The noise when first noticed convinced me it was coming from the rear of the car and underneath! I can create the noise quite easily by driving on the serrated white line at the road edge.
neils380@aol.com

Mine stops when I brake and keep the power on. So have changed upper strut mounts. Anti rollbar links and rubbers just for the hell of it. Have re lostioned the lower ball joint ball by ninety degrees to see if changed sound. Next job is the shock as running out of options. Really sounds from ns suspension. Cannot find anything loose in engine bay inc mounts. Steering rack seams OK as it should really as why would breaking stop the knocking. I give in. Guessing knocking not common on the 3008 as had loads of views on my post but only one reply.
3008 Car hire

Post by 3008 Car hire »

Not an owner but have just hired and had to return 3008 for this clunking issue. Hired in France and Peugeot engineer immediately showed me the issue after I described the problem. The front steering rack absolutely filled with compacted gravel which was making the most awful noise. Surprised this is the only thread i can find with this problem. I’d done 800miles on solid tarmac and car had done 21K so not sure when this had occurred.
neils380@aol.com

Car now fixed. Shock absorber was the issue. It did not display any of the normal signs of failure. after removing spring etc I discovered that the inner rod was moving sideways at the bottom and clonking inside the outer tube. Can only guess that something has broke in there or come lose. New shock was 53 quid. Deliverd in 24 hrs from Peugeot dealer. Now getting a second one to balance up front end. Thanks to those who replied. Over and out.
Renauto

Post by Renauto »

I had same issue 2016 Automatic, Took to Gowan Motors Dublin, Replaced Top Strut Mounting and Shock under warranty.
Gymuser

Post by Gymuser »

A work colleague who has the 2008 even us on the 3008 had a clunk from front end it turned out to be something inside the shocker itself. Just a thought.