2016 1.2l pure tech needing new engine?

Faults and Technical chat for the Peugeot 3008
azizgulamhusein

Post by azizgulamhusein »

Dear all,

I bought a 2016 3008 3 months ago from someone who had had it from new. It has a full peugeot service history and 35,000miles on the clock. The engine light came on last week and have taken it to peugeot, who after diagnostics say it needs a new engine!? Apparently peugeot are only willing to cover 80% of the cost of a new engine with the bill quoted at £1500 for me to pay should i proceed. This clearly seems completely ludacris for a 4 year old car with such low mileage and full service history. Any advice appreciated!

thanks
Aziz

daemanue

Post by daemanue »

Hello, I have the same year, model and engine. My car had to be towed into Peugeot yesterday because there was no compression in cylinder 2 and there was smoke coming out of the engine. I will let you know once the engine has been dropped out and investigated. You are not alone, I suspect. No estimate for the fix yet. I am in for over £500 to remove the engine with labour costs. Putting it back will be about the same. It suggests to me that the engines are only beginning to have failures after approaching 50,000 miles of usage. It is not very palatable. Darrell
daemanue

Post by daemanue »

Update on 15th December message. Hello again, the diagnosis was a melted number 2 cylinder which meant a replacement engine. Peugeot head office became involved and interested via my Peugeot dealer. They needed to see a full service history before they could advise on the problem. In my case, the 1.2. Allure engine had a manufacturer warranty of 60,000 miles which I understand is typical for the motor industry. I have since come across a similar problem this month that affected someone else I know. They flew 200 miles north and bought a cheap Peugeot 208 for their son who had just passed their driving test. Very soon the engine warning lights came on. Compression was being lost but it could be a different problem. They had no service history or warranty. I have bought many Peugeots in the past and will continue doing so. Every situation is different. I do not believe that there is a design or manufacturing problem fault in Peugeot engines. Life can be luck or unlucky I suppose.
azizgulamhusein

Post by azizgulamhusein »

thanks for the update, glad yours seems to be getting sorted. Mine was down to a premature failure of the timing belt. Peugeot covered the cost of the new engine as it had a full Peugeot service history and only done 35000miles. Was very pleased with the eventual outcome. One less problem to worry about! bw, Aziz