3008 Hybrid - Unable to go into Electric mode

Faults and Technical chat for the Peugeot 3008
OldRomney

Post by OldRomney »

Hi Phil - Re Battery : I had just completed a 48 mile trip when the first failure to go into Electric Mode happened so the battery should have been fully charged. However, because of your and others experiences battery-wise I got our local mech to test the battery yesterday. He reckoned it was fully charged and showing 12.67 volts (sorry - should have mentioned this).
Someone else asked if there is a another battery tucked away somewhere - he seemed to remember a Toyota Prius having a small battery under the rear seats.
I do have dated pictures of the screen message and the ambient temperature ready for this afternoon.

Brian

deccadick

Post by deccadick »

Is this Hybrid a PHEV (Plug in) or Self Charging? If it is the former then the 48 miles you did exhausted the battery and needs to be plugged in again to recharge it. i.e it is behaving as it should do. If it is a self charging type I guess the problem could be almost anything.
OldRomney

Post by OldRomney »

Hi deccadick - The Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4 is PHEV - it was charged fully overnight before the fun started
OldRomney

Post by OldRomney »

Hi to Phil and all interested parties - here is my feedback from today's visit to the dealer:
The car kept in Hybrid mode until the roundabout 100 yards from the dealership (20 mins drive) - I guess you know what comes next - it suddenly switched to Electric mode for the first time in a week!
Naturally, their diagnostics showed that everything was OK and very soon the keys were handed back. Fortunately, I met someone who has driven two of these cars since 2018. After a long discussion with him and some technical info from the service section I believe the following is relevant in the case of the AMBIENT CONDITIONS MESSAGE:
1. There are a multitude of things the computer checks through when one presses the starter switch and if any one of those items looks doubtful the car will definitely not go into electric mode in case the batteries are damaged. The manual tells us that the car will always start in Electric Mode - obviously this is not so!
2. If you watch the energy flow while driving and you notice a fluctuation in the power train between Electric and ICE the car is behaving as it should as far as driving is concerned and you can at least take comfort from this.
3. You should also check to see that some charge is supplied to the batterys while braking - another comforting sign that the car is working as it should.
4. The school of thought that a long drive clears the problem by fully charging the 12 volt battery seems improbable. Our combined theory is that the computer stores the possible AMBIENT problem in its memory until a certain amount of time and/or mileage has passed when the starting system is restored to normal. As a computer technician this makes sense to me.
5. Phil mentions that his vehicle always reverts back to the AMBIENT error after clearing during his long drive. I don't doubt it and I'm sure mine will do exactly the same as long as the computer algorythm spots the same anomaly during the starting procedure.
Unfortunately, to be fair to the service people, whatever causes this can only be spotted on their diagnostics system while it is happening - A PRACTICAL IMPOSSIBILITY!
8. My experience in the computer world would suggest a complete reboot of the system but the contradictory argument from Peugeot would probably be that there must be something not quite right and therefore it would be dangerous to overide it.
All in all, it seems that Peugeot have designed an AI system that is beyond their technicians and maybe beyond themselves.
Phil1669

Post by Phil1669 »

Thanks for the comprehensive update. Basically it’s a rehash of what Peugeot told me over my three visits to the workshop. They can’t resolve the problem and we are expected to just live with it. I have written to the complaints department and am awaiting a reply. There is still no mention in the ads for the car that the Hybrid system will not work properly if you do lots of short journeys, the reason I bought the car! Miss-selling I wonder?
OldRomney

Post by OldRomney »

Positiive news at last. The problem went away then came back with a vengeance to the extent that the car will not go into Electric Mode at all and starts in Hybrid Mode with an over-revving engine. The dealership have finally admitted that there is something wrong! The car is now in the workshop - will keep you posted.

Brian
Phil1669

Post by Phil1669 »

Amazing. I have the same problem with the over reviving engine when electric mode is not available. It will be interesting to see what your dealer says.
stansboy1

Post by stansboy1 »

Fellow sufferers.

I am new to this forum but was drawn here by a search for answers to the problems with my Peugeot 2020 3008 Hybrid 4 GT. I am slowly losing my mind over this issue of the car not going into "Electric" mode.
The dealership first blamed the software and said everything would be OK after my update, which they carried out. After about two weeks the problem returned.
Then they said that it may be the "ambient temperature sensor", or the software had not the correct "set point" for said sensor, or not calibrated.
When I started talking about the "12v battery low level logic" being in the loop, the idea of which came from this, or another forum, the response was "No! that doesn't come into it".
I bought a battery charger/reconditioner, that I have now used twice on the car, (battery in place) and directly after using it, the car will go into "Electric" mode. However, if the car stands for over three days without being used, the "Ambient condition" reason rears its ugly head again. Which also raises concerns about the general battery health, given the potential level of discharge/drain. All of this over the last two months, so outside ambient temperature should not be the issue, given the acceptance parameters set out in the owner's manual. Which by the way, states that the car should be able to sustain itself for "several months" without driving. As you all probably know, the conditions for operation in electric mode are not part of the sales pitch. So complaining to Peugeot maybe the only recourse we have, even though I have little faith in a proactive course of action from that direction. Clearly the dealership technicians are out of their depth.
stansboy1

Post by stansboy1 »

Update
New appointment with the dealer on June 23rd. I also asked to meet and talk with the technician assigned on the day, before he started the job. The dealer agreed.

Also posted a complaint on the Peugeot UK website and within 4 hours received a reply via e:mail, then the next day, received a call from a Peugeot UK
"case officer" no less. She asked who the dealer was that I dealt with and enquired about the appointment made. Then told me that they would contact me again after the dealer visit to see if I was satisfied that the problem had been cured. This "case officer" hinted that there was a fix for the problem.

Don't know if this is a good sign but the "case officer" had a French accent.
Phil1669

Post by Phil1669 »

Hi. You’ve probably been following my posts and others re this problem. You’re right Peugeot don’t know how to fix the problem. My has been back three times for software updates that were sure to clear the problem. Wrong, in my case each time the fault came back within three or four days. Having had the car for nearly a year now I have come to the following conclusion. If you drive the car regularly on lots of short trips the warning will appear after two or three days. The only way to cure it is to go on several long drives and this will solve problem temporarily. Keep us posted on what your dealership say and hopefully between us all we can force a resolution.