3008 Hybrid - Unable to go into Electric mode

Faults and Technical chat for the Peugeot 3008
Phil1669

Post by Phil1669 »

Hi Rikki - as someone who has has the Hybrid 4 300 for 18 months now I would definitely go with the Toyota. Despite numerous visits to the dealer they have not been able to fix the 'Electric Mode not Available - Ambient Conditions' warning. This occurs whatever the temperature The vehicle works fine some of the time but randomly but regularly the warning appears and I am unable to select Electric mode for days sometime. Then completely randomly it will start working again. It seems to be worse if you don't drive the vehicle for a few days. Peugeot have basically washed their hands of the problem, I feel it is because they do not know what causing the problem.
The other problem, that has been reported by other owners is the drastic drop in range that occurs. When you pick the vehicle up as new the range is shown around 30 miles despite the ads quoting 40-45 mile range. It soon diminishes and mine has got as low as 13 miles on a full fast charge. The dealer took it back and did something and it went back up to 25 miles or so before dropping back down to 16 miles. They gave me some story about the vehicle 'adapting to you driving style'. I do a mixture of long and short journeys and do not race round like a 20 year old. Can you imagine buying a petrol engine vehicle with an advertised range of 45 miles per gallon then realising it was only 16? You'd quite rightly be furious but Peugeot just shrug their shoulders and expect you to accept it.

In in short Rikki, I can't recommend the Peugeot hybrid for the above reasons which is a shame as when works properly it is a lovely car.

riki1

Post by riki1 »

Hi Phil1669, thank you very much for the answer. You say exactly what i thought, so I'm probably buying a Toyota.
freddex

Post by freddex »

We have a 2020 hybrid4 that had the no electric problem “ ambient temp” I put a trickle charge on the under bonnet battery and ALSO on the battery in the boot under the tool tray at the right of the boot space.
Have had no problem since! It is a fantastic vehicle and VERY FAST! Regards.
riki1

Post by riki1 »

Hello freddex, thanks for the answer. What do you use as a power source for trickle charging ?
freddex

Post by freddex »

3008 hybrid4.
The smaller extra “auxiliary” battery is in the boot to the right under the polystyrene tray! I used a normal 12v battery charger to charge it (also topped up main 12v battery under the bonnet) and have had no ambient temp problems since.
Car has since this problem had 10 software upgrades in local Peugeot garage during a service.
Coops1878

Post by Coops1878 »

Hello everyone

I test drove a facelift 3008 yesterday. It was just out the factory and I seemed to be the first person to put any miles on it. Overall I love it.

When I tried to put it in EV mode, it displayed the error mentioned in this thread about ambient temperatures.

I want a phev as the vast majority of the miles we do are short journeys, the idea of long trips to allow the car to maintain electric running just don't add up

I'm looking for a definite answer on if this issue can be fixed with software updates etc. There's a lot of threads out there complaining about it so I don't want to commit to the expense of the car unless I know this isn't going to cause me headaches.
Phil1669

Post by Phil1669 »

Please find below the advice I received from Trading Standards. I have booked my car in again for them to try and fix the Ambient temp and low range problems. If they fail again I will send a letter as per the advice below and see what happens. Meanwhile, based on my experience and Peugeots indifference I would not touch the car with a barge pole.

Thank you for your email on January 19th, 2022 to the Citizens Advice consumer service. Your reference number is 17078038.

We understand that you bought an electric car that was sold as being able to do a specific mileage. The car is unable to do that mileage and you feel it was mis-sold to you. You would like to know your rights.

Your rights

Based on the information you have given you may be protected by the Consumer Rights Act. You will have legal rights if the item you bought is not as described.

As you bought the goods more than 6 months ago you might be asked to prove what caused the problem. If the trader has one attempt to repair or replace your goods, you can ask to reject the goods for a refund. Because you've had the goods for over 6 months, the trader can keep some money for the use you've had however, you can state how much you think may be fair.

More information on your rights can be found on our website.

Your next steps

We would suggest, if you haven’t done so already, to put your complaint in writing which can be seen as a more formal approach to resolve a dispute with the trader. The Citizen Advice website has template letters available, which you may amend to suit your specific issue or use as a guide. If you complain by email, send it with a read receipt. This can tell you when the email was received and read. If you use webchat, it's a good idea to save a transcript of the conversation. If you complain by post, send the letter using a recorded delivery service which lets you track the letter, and prove it was sent and received.

There's also another way you can solve disagreements without going to court which is known as 'alternative dispute resolution' (or ‘ADR’) and you should ask the trader if they're willing to use one. Step by step guidance is available on our website.

What we will do

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about this issue. We will share this with trading standards to allow them to see how traders are operating their businesses and for their own enforcement purposes. Whilst trading standards are unlikely to be able to help resolve this issue on your behalf if they require further information they will be in touch.

If you have any more problems please call us on 0808 223 1133 or reply to this email, with your reference number.

Kind regards,

Sam

Citizens Advice consumer service
0808 223 1133
Web: www.citizensadvice.org.uk
Coops1878

Post by Coops1878 »

Anyone?
jasonhughes

Post by jasonhughes »

Thanks Phil1669 for that. I picked up my Hybrid4 in January and have had the cannot go into electric mode once. I have never seen a full charge above 18 miles and have written to my dealer as they fobbed me off with the 'car will learn your driving habits'. It should say 40 miles then depending on your driving habits reduce accordingly, then you can adjust to suit.( no complaints then).

I will follow the Trading Standards advice and send a recorded letter.

It is a shame because it is such a fab car.