3008 Hybrid - Unable to go into Electric mode

Faults and Technical chat for the Peugeot 3008
OldRomney

Post by OldRomney »

Hi - can anyone help

My 2020 Hybrid4 stays in Hybrid mode with the message "Unable to access Electric Mode at this time because of Ambient Conditions." The car is fully charged and is the garage with a temperature of of 18 degrees C. There was no sign of any problem on the previous journeys.

Brian

Phil1669

Post by Phil1669 »

Hi Brian. I too have a 2020 3008 Hybrid 4 that I picked up in July last year. I have had the same warning appear on countless occasions. It first happened about 5 months after I picked it up. It has been back to Peugeot three times and they have failed to fix the problem. The best explanation I got was that as I did most short journeys the normal 12 volt battery that powers the lights, ac, audio etc was losing charge. The electric motor system requires the 12 volt battery to be at least 75% charge in order to operate. I pointed out the car was plugged in a fast charger over but apparently it does not charge the 12 volt auxiliary battery! The only way to get the vehicle to go into electric mode is to go for a 60/70 mile drive to charge the battery up. You then get two or three days of electric mode before it happens again. Ridiculous! So in fact the reason I bought the car, to do lots of short local drives in electric mode is flawed. No where in the sales ads is this mentioned nor did the sales team mention it. I would be really interested to hear what your dealer has to say about this. Please keep the forum updated.

Phil
OldRomney

Post by OldRomney »

The dealer has reluctantly agreed to have a look at the problem this coming Friday after trying to fob me off with a story about the recent hot weather causing the system to protect the main batteries. The car is kept overnight in a cool garage. I checked the temperature this morning . It was eighteen degrees and I couldn't get the car into Electric mode. The car has only done 3,700 miles so I can't believe the 12 volt battery is not being charged but I don't have a tester. Will provide an update after Friday's visit.

Brian
Live life

Post by Live life »

Hi Brian & Phil,

I’m following your updates and cannot understand or believe you both have these issues on a new car.
Surely the manufacturer tests these hybrid cars in all extremes of weather so to blame our current warmer than normal weather sounds ridiculous, I wouldn’t mind but the UK’s weather is only in the low to mid 20’s, what about mainland Europe which has temperatures in the 30’s.

Maybe sending correspondence to the Peugeot UK head office for their reaction is needed and I’d certainly mention the poor responses from your dealers.

Keep us all posted and good luck.
OldRomney

Post by OldRomney »

Thanks for your concern, Live life. I have talked with the the Peugeot customer complaints section (guy was speaking from Casablanca). They will communicate with the dealership concerning the Electric Mode and other niggles we have experienced. I have also forwarded a formal letter to the dealership requesting a full refund shoould they be unable or unwilling to sort out the problem during my forthcomig visit on Friday.

Brian
Live life

Post by Live life »

Thanks for the update Brian, my fingers are crossed that you’ll get it sorted.
As for the full refund I’m not sure how that works but guess like any other item you’ve purchased which isn’t fit for purpose means you’ll be entitled to a refund.

I have a 69 plate 3008 GT line premium and it has so many features and gadgets it’s ridiculous, I’m praying nothing will go wrong with it.

LL
Phil1669

Post by Phil1669 »

Brian. What number did you ring to contact the complaints department. I can’t find a number on the web site
OldRomney

Post by OldRomney »

OldRomney

Post by OldRomney »

Murphy's Law!!!!!

I started the car because I needed to move it out of the garage to do some work in there. It went straight into Electric Mode as though nothing had ever been wrong. I swear I did nothing except climb in and press the starter button. Nevertheless I still want Peugeot to get to the bottom of this bizzare behaviou tomorrow. PS: There is another interesting problem that has been developing and has now worsened = THE FLAP THAT OPENS TO ALLOW ACCESS FOR THE CHARGING CABLE IS SIEZED AND NEEDS TO BE LEVERED OPEN CAREFULLY WITH A PLASTIC LEVER AFTER UNLOCKING - IT NEVER RAINS !!!!
Phil1669

Post by Phil1669 »

This is one the problems. It is very random. As the dealer is some 40 miles away the auxiliary battery charges up and low and behold it starts in electric when it gets to the dealers. I get the car back and it’s fine for a few days then the problem comes back. However I started videoing the start up process and have around 20 videos of the car failing to start in or switch to electric mode despite having been fully charged via the pod overnight . Consider doing this if the problem persists when you get the car back.