3008 Hybrid - Unable to go into Electric mode

Faults and Technical chat for the Peugeot 3008
stansboy1

Post by stansboy1 »

All

Just back from the dealership. Spoke to the technician. He stated that he sick of having to treat this problem, when in fact it's not a problem.
Apparently there are two parameters lumped into the "Ambient conditions" criteria, that are not mentioned in the owners handbook, and that the technicians only got to find out about from Peugeot, when this became a major problem for the dealers.

One we all suspected is the 12v battery system (both main and auxiliary) having to be above a certain charge level. the tech. mentioned 70%, not sure.
The second one, is a temperature sensor within the air conditioning system, which is also a set point (value not known)

I am at least satisfied that the car is running within its design conditions. All we have to do is maintain the 12v batteries charge levels.
It would have been nice to be aware of this before purchase, but at least I can live with it.

OldRomney

Post by OldRomney »

Where is the auxilliary 12v battery? The main battery under the bonnet is new and always fully charged.
stansboy1

Post by stansboy1 »

The auxiliary 12V battery is in the boot section under the floor panel. According to the Peugeot technician, it can also be charged in place, if necessary, with a charger unit.
OldRomney

Post by OldRomney »

Hi All Interested Parties

Got the car back today - so far so good. I have to thank the dedication and interest of the head of sales at our local agent who drove our car for almost a month in an effort to root out the problem. Had it been left to the service department we would have just been fobbed off with more ridiculous stories combined with utter contempt. The fact that we asked for our money and our old car back may have helped but credit still due to the salesman. To cut a long story short there are two 12 volt batteries in the system both of which need to be maintained at a high level of charge. Long runs apparently may not be enough to keep the 12 volt system up to scratch if there is any deficiency in the master battery under the bonnet. One way around the problem is to use a trickle charger to maintain the charge level if the car is not in constant use. Luckily our car is under warranty and the battery will be replaced as soon as they can get one (hen's teeth apparently). In the meantime I'll be investing in a trickle charger. Been driving a brand new Hybrid4 purposely keeping it in Electric mode for the last three weeks - engine only started once to clean the Particulate Filter then switched back to Electric - I suspect Peugeot may have quietly solved the Ambient problem on their latest products.
Any recommendations for a good trickle charger with auto cut-off and power display?
OldRomney

Post by OldRomney »

Thanks Stansboy1.

Had a look today for the auxilliary battery because I have a sneaking feeling that it may be the culprit. I can't see any way to get at it without a major removal of upholstery.

Has anyone founf a way to get at this battery?
OldRomney

Post by OldRomney »

UPDATE : Not good news - just done a 2,000 mile tour to Scotland and back. The car behaved perfectly for the first 160 miles before relapsing into the old problem of starting on fast idle instead of electric mode. A new penomenon is that sometimes it will jump between electric and engine before driving away. Dealer has booked it in for a new 12v battery as soon as they can get one from France. I'm really dubious about it being a battery problem but we'll see.
hasse@lorentzon.be

Post by hasse@lorentzon.be »

Hi Peugeot friends.
Is there anyone who has rectified the problem that the car does not want to run on electricity. I live in Sweden and have the same problem. It is not weather dependent, because the car is stored in a heated garage. Lately, the start has also been difficult. When you press the start button, the engine goes around a few revolutions, then it dies. Then you have to start again. Depress the brake and press the start button again.
hasse@lorentzon.be

The car was in the workshop last Friday. On Saturday morning, the petrol engine started. But later in the day it was possible to drive only on electricity. Today, Sunday, the car was completely dead, even though it was in the charger. Measured the 12 volt battery it only held 6 volts. The workshop will pick it up tomorrow.
riki1

Post by riki1 »

Toyota Rav4 has had a similar problem in the past, it may help, see this video from time 12:55
hasse@lorentzon.be

Just before Christmas, the car was once again at the workshop. They replaced the small 12volt battery that is located under the floor in the boot. So far it seems to have helped, now it goes on electricity again.