Hybrid Battery Range

Faults and Technical chat for the Peugeot 3008
Ionosphere

Post by Ionosphere »

I have been the owner of a 3008 PHEV Auto since about November 2021 it came partially charged stating a range of about 29 miles over the next few months it went up and down reaching the dizzy heights of 34 miles on a charge.
I appreciate the weather can impact battery performance but today fully charged its saying just 8 miles range.

its been hovering on 12 sometimes 14 miles for a few weeks surely this isnt right can anyone advise me what am i doing wrong?

also does anyone use the app ?

IMG_2138.jpg

simonannitsford

Post by simonannitsford »

I was just about to post something similar. Got the car at the end of October, fully charged range from the dealer 30 miles. As it's become colder, range has fallen, and this morning with temperature of minus 4 Celsius was 14 miles, BUT full electric mode wasn't available due to 'ambient conditions'.

I love the car, but feel it's been massively oversold.
simonannitsford

Post by simonannitsford »

I was going to post more or less the same thing. I got mine at the end of October, fully charged byvthe dealer and showing a 30 mile range. This had gone downwards since then as its become colder, with only 14 miles this morning at a temperature of minus 4 degrees. However, the last few mornings wouldn't run on full electric mode due to 'ambient conditions'. I really like the car, but feel it's been completely oversold by peugeot. A colleague with a new Leaf has seen her range fall from 250 to 178 miles, so the cold definitely impacts the batteries, but a 50% fall seems pretty extreme.
Ionosphere

Post by Ionosphere »

Still only getting about 8 miles charge range in this cold weather and it takes about the same time to charge. At the current cost of electricity it's costing more per electric mile than petrol. Was thinking I might try just petrol mode to compare. Massively defeats the purpose of having a hybrid and not efficient carting the weight of those batteries around. Love the car but fallen out of love with the electric performance so disappointing.
anyone have any advice on this? :(
deccadick

Post by deccadick »

Car manufacturers don't fit a full size spare wheel or any wheel at all in some cases because of the weight, so they say. However thay are quite happy to make a car with heavy batteries and other gear to give very limited electric mileage. So plug in hybrid makes no sense to me although I can accept that the other type is a better mixture of engine and EV mode.
robkeep

Post by robkeep »

I got my 2 year old car 2 weeks ago - battery range has only been showing 16/17 miles. Having said that the weather has been very cold, but it is garaged. Doesn't seem too good, but not as bad as 8 miles. Disappointing.
Another Driver

Post by Another Driver »

How many miles are you actually getting? Do you get more than what the gauge shows you?
robkeep

Post by robkeep »

its difficult to work out - does seem to be about what the gauge shows - if I could just get the app working properly it might tell me more. I had an older 3008 before which was much more staightforward, and a great car, but I wanted to move away from diesel
DATR

Post by DATR »

My 2016 Hybrid 4, doesn't have a charging port, it is only charged by motion. This car will only do a couple of miles in ZEV mode, and I think this is how this model works, it charges when slowing down and then uses the power asap, so it is charging and discharging continuously. I don't think it is designed to go long distances in ZEV mode it is just recycling kinetic energy.

My 3008 doesn't use ZEV mode when the air conditioning is ON I am not sure if this is by design or not. I suspect it is by design. Perhaps new models don't have this restriction and allow using air condition in ZEV mode, if this is the case it may well drain the battery.

I have noticed that the Average Mileage drops when the air condition is on and this is probably because hybrid mode is deactivated.

Also, some people have commented about Range fluctuating.

I have a 370z and the Range fluctuates, for example, the Range could be 200 miles at the start of a journey and be 230 miles after a 20 mile journey and this makes sense.

The Range is calculated one's latest drive style, if you are driving in town or driving fast in sports mode the Range is calculated on this driving style.

If you keep driving like this the range will be 200 mile.

Now go for a 20 mile drive at continuous speed down a motorway, which uses at lot less fuel, after a 20 mile journey you might expect the range to have dropped to 180 miles, but it doesn't it increases to say 230 miles.

If you keep driving on the motorway as you have been doing recently the range will be 230 miles.

Once you leave the motorway and return to urban driving the range will drop again.

It is predicting the range based on the assumption that the recent driving style will be maintained until the tank is empty.
DATR

Post by DATR »

DATR wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:31 am My 2016 Hybrid 4, doesn't have a charging port, it is only charged by motion. This car will only do a couple of miles in ZEV mode, and I think this is how this model works, it charges when slowing down and then uses the power asap, so it is charging and discharging continuously. I don't think it is designed to go long distances in ZEV mode it is just recycling kinetic energy.

My 3008 doesn't use ZEV mode when the air conditioning is ON I am not sure if this is by design or not. I suspect it is by design. Perhaps new models don't have this restriction and allow using air condition in ZEV mode, if this is the case it may well drain the battery.

I have noticed that the Average Mileage drops when the air condition is on and this is probably because hybrid mode is deactivated.

Also, some people have commented about Range fluctuating.

I have a 370z and the Range fluctuates, for example, the Range could be 200 miles at the start of a journey and be 230 miles after a 20 mile journey and this makes sense.

The Range is calculated based on one's latest drive style, if you are driving in town or driving fast in sports mode the Range is calculated on this driving style.

If you keep driving like this the range will be 200 mile.

Now go for a 20 mile drive at continuous speed down a motorway, which uses at lot less fuel, after a 20 mile journey you might expect the range to have dropped to 180 miles, but it doesn't it increases to say 230 miles.

If you keep driving on the motorway as you have been doing recently the range will be 230 miles.

Once you leave the motorway and return to urban driving the range will drop again.

It is predicting the range based on the assumption that the recent driving style will be maintained until the tank is empty.