Engine start / stop not working

Faults and Technical chat for the Peugeot 3008
griff4715

Post by griff4715 »

Anybody had the same issue.

PhilAs

Post by PhilAs »

I think I have same problem, perhaps since service.

Have not used the car much but need to check it out.

Stop start is definitely selected
Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

The stop/start system has to have a number of criteria met for it to work. Battery charge condition being the one of the important ones. Winter is the time of the year that stops it working the most, due to power used for demisting, heating and short trips. My stop/start has not worked since late October and now we are in lock down it won't be getting any better.
There is a list of the criteria required, I will try and find it. A good indication of the battery condition is to sit in the car with the engine off and radio on
See how long it takes for the automatic power off to kick in.
lipy

Post by lipy »

Most probably its the battery, I took it to the dealers as it was still under the guarantee, they replaced the battery and is now working again, but that doesn't mean the battery is bad because it worked for everything else and never failed to start the car, and it will work perfectly in any other car without the start stop
function, the problem is that the system detects that the battery is not 100% and it will stop this function as to not strain the battery. But what battery is 100%
of amperage power after a year or so especially if you don't use you car much, like in my case, so it will definitely happen again and I'm not changing the battery again for this issue,
Geoff2469

Post by Geoff2469 »

I had the same problemafter leaving my car with the dealer for an extended time to sort outa nother problem. Stop/start was not working, contacted dealer who said to give the battery a trickle charge overnight. That did the trick even with a battery over 3 years old.
JeffG

Post by JeffG »

Out of curiosity, how is it supposed to work?

Just got a 3008 automatic last week. There's no stop/start working and there's no useful information in the online manual.

Q1. When should it Stop the engine? If I pull up at traffic lights and still in Drive with foot on break should it work then? Does the parking brake have to be on or doesn't that matter?

Q2. at what point should the engine start again? When you take you foot off the break? When you press the accelerator?
StuB

Post by StuB »

Hi
I thought mine wasn't working also, asked previous owner and he said it works with footbrake applied and in drive, I've been around cars 45yrs and thought it strange but made sure battery was fully charged took it out for a long run then tried this method and stop start functioned ok so no need for handbrake but so as not to annoy driver behind with lights, It even let be put handbrake on then just pressed go peddle and off we went!!
johnmarklawson

Post by johnmarklawson »

Hi,

If this is in the wrong place can you redirect me. It is a related to a trickle charge question. I hope someone can help me!

I am in the UK I have a 2017 3008 1.6 diesel GT automatic. My stop/start function ceased to work some while ago.
At the last service the engineer said that I need to trickle charge the battery to fix the problem.

Great: As I am not able to stop/park anywhere near an A/C power source, I looked for a stand-alone trickle charger with its own power source.
I could not find one - Does anyone here know of one?

I purchased a power source via amazon "BEAUDENS Portable Power Station, 240Wh Power Solar Generator Backup Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery, 2000 Cycles, 10 Years Life, Power Supply Emergency" - Charged it up!

I also purchased via amazon a "NOCO GENIUS5UK, 5-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V And 12V Battery Charging Units, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger, And Battery Desulfator With Temperature Compensation" Trickle charger.

I Connected the NOCO as per the instructions, then Plugged it into the BEAUDENS power source, turned this on, selected A/C and it stayed in A/C mode for a second or two and then deactivated the A/C the NOCO did not register anything on its panel. As a test I plugged the NOCO into a socket in my house and it correctly went into standby mode.

Beaudens states output 230v 50HZ (150 W)
NOCO states input and working V as 120 VAC, 50-60HZ and output power 75W max.
This should this work right?

Help and advice sought.

Thank you
Mark - new member
deccadick

Post by deccadick »

Hi Mark,
A bit OTT. A solar charger from Amazon for £25 to £50 should do the job. My Stop/Start hasn't worked since Lockdown 1 apart from a few days away in late September. I'm not at all worried as the fuel savings are negligible. I acknowledge that gases produced by a diesel emissions whilst stationary are not to be encouraged. I take mine f(1.2 petrol) for a 15 mile run every 2 weeks to keep the battery topped up. This may not be completely legal as a breakdown may cause emergency services (Green Flag) to come out to me. However if I have to make a lawful journey and the car won't start due to a flat battery Green Flag would be called out anyway and maybe me having to miss the appointment!
johnmarklawson

Post by johnmarklawson »

deccadick wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:51 pm Hi Mark,
A bit OTT. A solar charger from Amazon for £25 to £50 should do the job. My Stop/Start hasn't worked since Lockdown 1 apart from a few days away in late September. I'm not at all worried as the fuel savings are negligible. I acknowledge that gases produced by a diesel emissions whilst stationary are not to be encouraged. I take mine f(1.2 petrol) for a 15 mile run every 2 weeks to keep the battery topped up. This may not be completely legal as a breakdown may cause emergency services (Green Flag) to come out to me. However if I have to make a lawful journey and the car won't start due to a flat battery Green Flag would be called out anyway and maybe me having to miss the appointment!

Hi, thank you for the advice,I will probably try and return the kit and get my money back!

Do you off hand if the cigarette lighter remains active when the ignition is off?
If so a solar panel inside the car plugged into the socket would work, during daylight?

If I have to attach it to the battery and grounding point. Given I can get the wires to reach etc, Do you think it would be safe to start the car and drive it still connected?

Many thanks again for your reply :)