Stop start problem

All Peugeot 3008 related discussions
rodshome44

Post by rodshome44 »

Checked with my dealer some time ago because mine ws not working and was informed that there are at least 9 items that will prevent stop start working. including all those listed by previous chats people. then as he was driving it out of the workshop he then informed me that as I have a dash cam working it will prevent the stop start. unless the battery is in excess of 80% full charged it will not work.

peyton1

Post by peyton1 »

I have a 2017 3008 azure 120 hdi blue manual. Stop/start system did not work at all, 4 trips to workshop they replaced battery hey presto works perfectly. For manual, stop, neutral, foot on brake works every time.
Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

I'm finding mine is inane. The majority of time it does not operate, but when I get home and manoeuvre the car to park in my garage it's starts to work. On a long run to Southampton from Kent, it started to operate at traffic lights at the final stages.
Jonmac

Post by Jonmac »

Quite often caused by battery problems due to constant short runs, this operation requires a well charged battery and suggest that a long run is tried or an overnight battery charge to see if that helps.
Arandora

Post by Arandora »

Only just came across this topic. I have a 3008 GT-Line, registered 1st August 2017 and Stop/Start has never been activated, so I find the comments that you cannot permanently deactivate this function puzzling. Given the overall criticism of Stop/Start in this thread I have shelved plans to activate it. :(
deccadick

Post by deccadick »

The Stop/Start on my August 2018 Allure nearly always works even when there is no temperature (white marking) on the gauge. Also my motoring is mainly short runs, I am most impressed. On my previous 2008 it almost never worked even after a 150 mile daytime drive!
inayellowshirt

Post by inayellowshirt »

I have had my GTLine for 2 weeks now (17 plate and 1 previous owner) and the stop/start has yet to work at all.

I did have the system on my Mazda 3 and it always ended up with faults, so not sure whether to get the garage to look at it, but feel I should as it's under warranty. I've also noticed I get no engine data when I select it under the user defined dash.

Hmmm
inayellowshirt

Post by inayellowshirt »

inayellowshirt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:09 pm I've also noticed I get no engine data when I select it under the user defined dash.

Hmmm
Solved! Have to be in Dynamic Driving Mode
bobchip

Post by bobchip »

Ok, you can't permanently disable but, if its that nigglesome "lag" thats bugging you like when you need to be quick off the mark entering a roundabout or need a lively getaway for whatever reason, soon as the car comes to a halt and the engine cuts, just give the steering wheel a little "nudge" in either direction.
The engine will immediately re start and won't cut out again until you next have to stop. Then just repeat the procedure. I got into the habit of doing this and find I now do it as a matter of routine without really being aware of it.
Just to add, My 3008 is auto and I suspect that "lag" may be a little less conspicuous on a manual gearbox. (Just a suspicion).
BigGee

Post by BigGee »

3008 petrol 1.2 auto purchased new June 2016.
Stop start worked for about 3 weeks only when I returned car to dealership I was told by salesman and service staff that because I made mostly short runs and sometimes with air conditioning in use then the battery was not reaching full charge etc.
I didn't believe this but to be honest I had searched online for evidence that stop start positively increased mpg but no proof was available so I lived happily without stop start until just recently. Online I read a comment that the correct battery needs to be fitted to cope with stop-start especially on an automatic engine because extra power is needed on starting to overcome torque converter on auto cars.
Also French manufactured vehicles have a totally different stop-start principle of operation.
I quote:'There's a more advanced version of engine stop start that is found in Peugeot and Citroen cars. The alternator can reverse its polarity, switching its function to become a generator and reclaiming energy that would otherwise be lost. It stuffs the capacitors full of electricity that the alternator then piles back into the engine and restarts combustion in just 400 milliseconds. Once the engine is warm, the alternator takes care of all restarting duties. Apparently it is possible to monitor stop start times also via trip computer.

I looked on VARTA website and after providing vehicle details they list the battery which is recommended for stop-start to work properly.
Neither of the recommended batteries was fitted to my car. (source varta-automotive.com).

To cut a long story short I called Peugeot Customer care for advice and when I mentioned problems with stop start they stated that many many people have reported similar problem. They gave me a complaint log call reference (191119-002603) and told me to present my car to the dealership and tell them I wanted the problem resolved and would be reporting back to Peugeot UK after getting car back.
The car was at the dealership for 3 days and when I collected it they had fitted a new uprated battery with Citroen label attached.
As both Citroen and Peugeot cars share parts I was happy about this.
Since the battery has been changed the system is working 100%.
See 'The truth about engine stop start systems' by Auto Expert John Cadogan...Australia on you tube.
I hope my experience and final result will prompt others to insist on getting a fully functioning vehicle