Intermittent “juddering” on 3008

All Peugeot 3008 related discussions
Libby

Post by Libby »

I had the call today to say they have found the fault.... exactly like yours, the exhaust valve!!!!!! Mines goons be a few weeks as warranty paper work needs approval and ordering of parts etc. Just glad the fault has been found 👍🏻

sbradbury

Post by sbradbury »

Awesome. Fingers crossed once they are fixed
We can drive without the fear of thinking its gonna break down. I will let you know how it goes 🤔
LenAlcourt

Post by LenAlcourt »

Any updates on how the repair went? Has it solved the issue of the 'juddering'?
Eddie4

Post by Eddie4 »

I have a similar problem with my 3008 1.2 Pure Tech 68 plate. I get a ticking sound when in 4th gear between 20 to 40 mph and at the same time the gear stick vibrates. it's intermittent and so far I've not been able to demonstrate it to the dealer, waiting for it to get worse!
suds3k

Post by suds3k »

Was just wondering if anyone who had posted before who's cars were having the fault, are all ok now after having the exhaust valves replaced? As have a 308 1.6 bluehdi that is having the same problem.
LenAlcourt

Post by LenAlcourt »

A couple of people on this forum have had the problem diagnosed as the exhaust valves and were putting their cars in for repair, but have never given any updates on the outcome. I put the exhaust valve problem to my dealer who said it was unlikely to be that , but couldn't be certain.
Its driving me mad because mine can go several weeks without a problem and then suddenly it happens! But only lasts a few minutes. I have noticed it happens sometimes when i'm carrying some weight in the boot.
Noyer

Post by Noyer »

Hi All

I registered today just so that I can contribute to this post because I've been keeping an eye on it since first experiencing a judder back in May. Google isn't showing a lot of information on this issue, so I'll put in as much detail as I can but mind that it will be a lengthy post.

Note: I'm not a mechanic. Apologies for any simple explanations. This is also unresolved, so there's no answers in this post. Sorry.

Car Details

2017 (67) Peugeot 3008 1.2 manual Allure, owned from new

Description of Fault

Severe, violent juddering under acceleration and/or loss of acceleration. Intermittent. Unpredictable in terms of when it chooses to appear but, when it does, the conditions are consistent with previous appearances.

Detailed Explanation of Fault

Gear: 4th or 5th
Speed: Usually 40-50mph
Revs: 1,750-2,250 (at point of fault under acceleration)
Manoeuvre: Accelerating. Not unnecessarily heavy. Examples being leaving 40mph zone for national speed limit or on a motorway slip road (joining motorway)
Subjective Observation: Personally I think this happens more when I've been cruising in a gear at a constant speed for some time (4th or 5th) and then go to accelerate. I've never noticed this issue immediately after a gear change

The car, when exhibiting the fault, judders violently. Instinct makes me drop the clutch or ease off the acceleration. Feels like a very rough misfire (whole car shakes) or, if it's just a loss of acceleration and no judder, it's like the fuel supply has been turned off for a second before resuming.

Progress

First instance was May this year and, on an annual mileage of about 10,000 miles, has done this slightly more frequently than once a month since then. I can't honestly say if it's becoming more frequent, but it maybe does it on about one in eight journeys with the right sort of conditions (40-50mph, need to accelerate etc). It makes it impossible to replicate this on demand.

The car's still under warranty for another year so I'm currently relaxed about identifying the fault. My main concern at the minute is, with the low annual miles we cover, having the fault unresolved by the end of its warranty period.

It's in the garage (main dealer) today for it's second year service and I've had a long chat with the technician here.

This is something he said he's come across before on two dealership staff members' cars. One of which is still unresolved so the fault is known locally to the dealer if not nationally.

He's advised that the approach is to check the basics (fault codes, fuel, ethanol content, spark plugs, coil pack etc) before moving onto sandblasting the exhaust valve that can become fouled with deposits and disrupt the gas mix. It means leaving the car with them for 4 days so they can work through the checks in turn and - which I'm not particularly happy about - some lengthy test drives. However, I do appreciate the difficulty fixing an 'unproven' fault.

The technician did say that he'd experienced this same issue himself when test driving one of the staff members' cars with the fault. He described it as 'kangarooing between two axels' as he tried to drive through it. His advice was to not release the accelerator/drop clutch but instead to drag it out as long as possible to force the car to register a fault/enter limp mode so that there's something tangible to take back to Peugeot.

This is as far as I've got.

I've not posted any of this to enter a debate about whether the approach advised by the technician at my local main dealer is correct or proportionate but the car's under warranty and he's the professional. I've only posted this today to try and add detail to this issue and, in a couple of weeks when it's been in for a week, I'll provide an update because, as noted in the post above, this thread is lacking in conclusion to most of these stories.
LenAlcourt

Post by LenAlcourt »

Hopefully your technician can find something definitively wrong with the car so that it can be sorted. I was literally about to sell my car to ' We buy any car' just to cut my losses and get rid. The thing is, I like the car and don't really want anything else. But at the moment it's doing my head in!!
So I await your findings with baited breath. Fingers crossed.
Buddha13

Post by Buddha13 »

Hi all,
I have been having this problem for about 6 months. I have a 3008 sport 1.6 hdi. The strange thing is that it only seems to happen when the engine is cold and if it has been raining. I think the damp might have something to do with it. Once it has warmed up and done a few miles it stops.
Noyer

Post by Noyer »

I thought that too initially except that, for my vehicle, the problem started to appear mid-journey with the engine at normal temp when it was neither cold nor damp.

LenAlcourt - I don't have an answer for you, sorry. I'm in the process of trading it in. I just couldn't face a week of a hire car and having the technician drive mine around for a week just to tell me that he's not seen the problem that I know is intermittent. Loved the car, I'm just not keeping something that isn't right.