1.2 manual Gearbox

All Peugeot 3008 related discussions
Danish

Post by Danish »

Hello there. DENMARK´s calling - same problem!

Happy I found your 3008forum as I am facing the exact same problem. I had my 1.2 manual a month ago. First, the dealer “didn’t know” about this problem but admit the noise after a short drive. It seems like they try to talk it into “normal” for this engine and I must live with it. That’s not acceptable and I have asked them to come up with a solution. It´s a fantastic car but that sound makes me crazy.

Denmark is one of the most expensive countries for cars and with the 3008-range starting with 33.500 GBP for my 1.2 manual it´s quite an issue if Peugeot ignore my problem.

What interests me:

Is it a general problem with all the 1.2 manual cars?
What do they think in Peugeot HQ after the problems in the UK even after change of gearboxes?
Are there other countries facing this problem?
And is it a strategy talking the problem into normal?

mpolov

Post by mpolov »

Hello!
I do not own Peugeot, but I have exactly same problem - annoying whining sound of gearbox - on my Citroen C4 Grand Picasso. I think it is not problem of your model but problem of 1.2 petrol engine with manual gearbox. It seems the gearbox is crap and has same behavior in all PSA concern cars.
My Citroen dealer told me it is working so they can't change it only because of sound. I will check this forum from time to time to see how are things going.
Danish

Post by Danish »

Thanks for you comment mpolov.
Interesting news. My next step is taking the car to the dealer again. This time they will monitor the sound and send the result to Peugeot Denmark.
Dmj58

Post by Dmj58 »

I’ve had one of these cars before & loved it so brought a new one which I received in January after a short time I could here a whining noise too took it to dealership for them to tell me it was normal but I didn’t think it was so it has been in a few times which warranty have changed the gearbox but it still made the same noise I’ve been into a meeting today warranty are saying it’s a characteristic feature of car but mine is so loud I’m really not happy has anybody else had this problem if so has anything been done as I’ve now rejected my car which is a long drawn out process just waiting
Dmj58

Post by Dmj58 »

tamzin wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:29 pm Update on gearbox whine.
I received a phone call whilst on holiday last week informing me that Peugeot have decided to not replace my gearbox stating (that it is a characteristic of this engine and gearbox configeration).As you can imagine i am very angry especially after i was told Peugeot have agreed to replace gearbox.Cant wait to get on the phone to Peugeot and hear how they can justify this decision.It would be very helpfull if members of this forum who own a 3008 with the 1.2 engine with manual gearbox could please reply to this post stating if there vehicle has the gearbox whine or not.This would help build up a picture as to how much of a characteristic it is.
My reply I’m having the same issue they have said it’s a characteristic of the car but if that’s the case why did warranty agree my dealership to replace the gearbox got it to be exactly the same now I’m waiting on the next step as I’ve told them I’m rejecting the car I don’t oay nearly £30.000 for a car to make this irritating noise not happy at all I love the car except this whining
Dmj58

Post by Dmj58 »

fitzbilly wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:59 pm Hi
I just joined the forum as I have a similar problem. 1.2 petrol again, new in October 2018. I noticed a whine immediately, something I don't think I encountered on the test drive. I think it is there all the time, it just depends on other noise how intrusive it is.
After much toing and froing it was concluded it was the gearbox and a new one was fitted 2 weeks ago. The whine is still there however and I'm now waiting the dealer to get back to me. Wondering how widespread this issue is. The dealer is saying no one else has reported anything, but Peugeot were very quick to change the gearbox.
It seems to me there is an issue with all the 1.2 engine models I’m not happy at all why can’t they just admit it & put things right they shouldn’t be selling cars that are not right
Dmj58

Post by Dmj58 »

mridley wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:47 pm A little update, the car has been back into the dealership who have agreed it is excessively noisy, Peugeot have now said it is a known issue with these and they are looking to "re-manufacture" the gearboxes. They couldn't give me any indication of timescales so I have told them i am returning the car!!

Peugeot customer service is shocking at best, I opened a customer complaint regarding this last year and have had too constantly chase them. Mine is now worse than before which is very annoying!!!

Mine was also new in October so I'm wondering if it is an issues with cars manufactured around this date? My dealer also told me they hadn't heard of this before but while on a test drive with the mechanic he admitted it was known issue...
I’m having exactly the same issue customer services it totally shocking they never reply to my calls when they say they will ring they don’t I’ve told them I’m returning the car but it’s not that simple I’ve been told as know one wants to take responsibility for the problem & the dealership has got to get the money from someone to replace it for me just an absolute nightmare but it’s not their car that’s doing it so it doesn’t matter I feel is the attitude
Dmj58

Post by Dmj58 »

mridley wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:10 pm Update 7\3\2019

So just got off the phone from Peugeot customer services who now inform that the "gearbox Whine" is a characteristic of the vehicle, words failed me, well not quite :-). He advised me our conversation was being recorded at which point i said "good" because you can listen back and hear what utter crap you just said, it's 2019 for god sake!! If a major car manufacture can't make a gearbox whine a very noticeable whine then what hope id there for mankind!!

Peugeot are saying it's not a generic problem and relates to just my car (hmm), so i said "oh ok, just change my car then" at which point there was a long silence, "hello you still there", yes sorry, "so if you're saying it's just my car with this issue change my car problem solved", "I understand what you are saying Mr ?????? but that's is not my decision to make", ok can i speak to the person that can then" again a long silence.

All joking aside it's just not acceptable, the noise is getting worse with the miles (just under 3k now) very noticeable from about 36-45 mph. My vehicle is a lease car, I have kept the lease company updated with things and have just informed them that i wish to reject the car, so lets see if anything happens now.

So to date, the car is still making a whining noise, Peugeot Customer services are about as much use as an inflatable dartboard. the dealership might as well sell Ice to the Eskimos, all in all a very peeved me!!!
I totally agree I’m having the same issues customer service useless & the dealership saying they have been told it’s a characteristic I’ve rejected mine but have been told someone has to take responsibility for it as someone has got to pay to change mine
Dmj58

Post by Dmj58 »

mridley wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:51 pm Update 1st May 2019,

Mine is a lease vehicle, I have been in contact again with the leasing company who have rejected my request to return the car based on Peugeot advising them that this is a characteristic of this model, email below

"Hello Mark,

Further to our phone call last week I have raised this issue with Arnold Clark and unfortunately this is what they have advised;
Having read the emails below and spoken to our maintenance department the manufacturer of the vehicle have confirmed there is no mechanical issue with the car.

On this basis, it appears that Arnold Clark as well as Peugeot will not be looking to reject the vehicle.

I think from what has been mentioned the issue will be a characteristic of your model.

The only other thing I could suggest (you may have already tried this) is to take the vehicle to a second dealership to obtain their opinion on the vehicle.
I would suggest that you don’t tell them you’ve had previous issues and the gearbox has already been replaced, this will allow the dealer to give an unbiased second opinion."

I am not accepting it as a Characteristic of the car it is clearly a fault or they would not have replaced my gearbox once already, I have raised this with Peugeot customer service many months ago.

Looking at the number of people on this thread who have had their gearbox replaced would those people be willing to provide me with their Reg number and date they took delivery?

I think the only chance we have is to group together, or we just appear to be just an individual with an issue!!

Peugeot say they do not have a fault but clearly they do or they would not be changing gearboxes!!!
I picked my car up in January but was brand new when I had it reg number FH68HZT EXACTLY the same as you they have changed my gearbox for warrenty to say it’s a characteristic of the car which like you say clearly it isn’t or why would they change it in the first place
Dmj58

Post by Dmj58 »

fitzbilly wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:22 pm Hi
I just had a look at this thread and see there are some new posts, so I should update you on what has happened to me. The dealer and Peugeot stated there was no problem after all with my car, it was just 'product definition' so were not proposing to do anything further about it. The dealer stated the whine would disappear after ~18000 miles (!). I took legal advice and was told I had a good case under Consumer Rights legislation as the car was not as described (i.e. not as I experienced on the test drive), Peugeot had admitted there was a problem initially (i.e. they charged the gearbox) so I should be able to return the car for a full refund with a nominal reduction in purchase price to account for the 4000 miles I had done. However, if Peugeot were going to insist it was product definition it would be difficult and long winded to sort out. So, I was hating the car and sold it back to the dealer for a quiet life. I now have a Honda CRV which has no whine and is a far superior car.
I had another test drive in a new 3008 and that had a whine too, and the dealer said he could notice it now, but it was 'product definition' etc etc
I will never buy another Peugeot again!
It seems to me like Peugeot don’t want to accept liability on this think I am going to get intouch with trading standards about this once & for all as I’m sick of being robbed off when clearly everyone has a problem it’s time the faced up to it they have a major problem