1.2 manual Gearbox

All Peugeot 3008 related discussions
peterb

Post by peterb »

Thanks for posting your recordings, Chris_oliebollen. That's exactly the sound that my 3008 1.2 petrol manual makes.
I've spoken again to the dealer who supplied my car and, at the time of writing, they still weren't aware of a fix. I therefore tried phoning around a few Peugeot dealers across the UK and spoke to a great guy in the Evans Halshaw dealership in Stourbridge. He immediately knew of the issue and said that they've had three or four owners complain of the same issue over the past couple of weeks. However, he said that there is no Peugeot TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for this issue at present, therefore they have no details (from Peugeot) of how to rectify the fault. He suggested that I speak to Peugeot directly to take it up with them, so I've just opened a case with Peugeot Customer Services and included a link to this forum. I'll keep you all updated with any replies I receive.

Chris_oliebollen

Post by Chris_oliebollen »

In reverse, does it make also a very loud sound, a bit like the gear is getting in friction with something?

I noticed also that when you put the gear on neutral and stop accelerating, when the sound is at its maximum (for me exactly 60km/h then if you push a bit on the gear stick (for example you go to set the 3rd gear but not completely), you will hear the sound increasing more. It feels like something is making friction....

In the first gear, at very low speed, in neutral, I can hear also some grindy noise, especially when parking in onderground garages, very faint.

The garage told me that it was known to Peugeot and they needed my car to follow a test procedure. They said that they did know what the reason was.

Also I went on the Dutch and French forums and some owners seems to have the sound but not as loud as we have. Also sometimes they just ignore the noise, think that this is normal or just do not hear it (getting old 😁)
Tennis Pro

Post by Tennis Pro »

The recording is also the same sound that I am getting, thanks for sharing.
peterb

Post by peterb »

To answer your questions Chris_oliebollen:

Reverse on my vehicle produces a typical reverse gear sound. Nothing loud, and nothing unexpected to be honest.

The whining sound on my vehicle is loudest at around 40 mph (about 60 km/h, so same as you). I think that others on this forum have reported the same. The sound is not really apparent when accelerating, but appears when I take my foot off the accelerator.

I also hear the same whining sound when changing from 1st to 2nd gear when going downhill.

As your second recording illustrates, Chris_oliebollen, the whining can sometimes 'wobble' in pitch a bit, which makes it all the more noticeable and annoying.

I'm sure you're right, Chris_oliebollen, that some owners maybe don't notice the noise, and some may just accept it. But the fact that we're all here proves that it is not an acceptable noise for many people, and is most definitely not something that any owner of a new car should have to put up with. I love everything else about my 3008, but this fault really lets the car down and has left me very disappointed.

If anyone on this forum takes their car to a dealer who DOES have an official record of this fault (which I'm told will be in the form of a Peugeot TSB or Technical Service Bulletin) please ask the dealer to give you the name and reference number of the TSB and share it here.
Chris_oliebollen

Garage checked and confirmed the noise is not acceptable.
They will order a new gearbox, I had to come back because apparently they have to order the right one. Seems to have 2 different types.
They told me indeed that Peugeot did not officially provided a TSB or fix on the gearbox, however each time they get the old gearbox back they investigate what the issue is.
I told the garage that changing the gearbox may not solve the problem but he told me that he could not hear this noise on the other 5008 1.2 manual he tested.
Let s cross fingers.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Thanks for the update, Chris_oliebollen. Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
If your new gearbox does resolve the issue it'd be really interesting to know exactly what kind of gearbox your dealer had to order.
Loque

Post by Loque »

Hello,
I have also recorded this sound on my 3008, here is the link:

I have not contacted my dealer yet but I will try to solve this problem too.
Chris_oliebollen

Yeap this is the same sound indeed. I believe that you hear it much better in real than on the recording.
Loque

Post by Loque »

In my case (I think) it is not so loud, but it is there, especially annoying when radio is off.
Chris_oliebollen

They will change my gearbox next Wednesday