Cam Belt Perishing

All Peugeot 3008 related discussions
sterankin

Post by sterankin »

Hi all - this just happened to me.

Started getting "engine fault repair needed" warnings on the dash. Then also started getting "oil pressure" warnings which didn't stay up long enough to read.
Then the car started going into "safe drive home mode" where it went at a crawls pace.

I took it for a diagnostic at a Peugeot dealership and they told me it was an issue with the timing belt deteriorating and blocking the oil filter. The car is 2017 and has about 35k miles on it. I've only had it a year and a half and done very few miles due to covid.

The car has sat at the dealers for over a week while they get parts and can fit me in to repair, since its an all day job they tell me. So I'm out a car for 2 weeks, they told me I could rent a car myself but they could not give me a hire car for free. They said that my car is not safe to drive.

Can anyone tell me what exactly the repair is - and how likely is this to happen again in the next 30,000 miles? I am so annoyed by the whole thing I am tempted to trade it in for something else but I don't know much about cars. The only reason I got this 3008 was because it was top-rated everywhere and that 1.2 petrol engine was supposed to be great.

The dealer reckons they can get Peugeot to foot the bill, which is the only light at the end of this mess. But how are they making sure it won't happen again?

John2

Post by John2 »

Sounds like the same fault I got on my 2017 auto, although I didn't get the oil pressure warnings. The dealer told me the cam belt had got oil on it from a leaking oil pump and as a result had started to deteriorate. From the number of people reporting this, it seems to be a known fault and I assume (and hope) that it has been fixed on the replacement oil pump. The fault has not recurred, although for the last 15 months or so I have done very few miles due to covid.

I have since had a gearbox fault message (gearbox still worked as normal). This was fixed by a software update, no charge.

I did think about trading it in and got as far as test driving a Juke, but overall I really like the 3008.
sterankin

Post by sterankin »

Thanks for this - there seems to be many of these reported problems, with a recall on pre-April 2017 models. Though mine seems to be manufactured in July 2017.
I'll see what the dealer says when it gets fixed, I'll consider trading it in - but I'm not sure what I would even trade in for. Am worried about this issue reoccurring in the future and it will always be in my mind when driving it.