1.2 manual Gearbox

All Peugeot 3008 related discussions
Eddie4

Post by Eddie4 »

I purchased my 3008 in October 18 and have a chatting noise from the gearbox when in 4th gear. The gearstick also vibrates at the same time. It started quietly at first and caused me to search for anything loose in the car! It's back to the dealer on 30th!
Also I have a rattling noise from underneath when driving on uneven surfaces or bumps!

peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi folks. Update on my car which is currently with my dealer for investigation into the whining noise. I've just spoken to them and their opinion is that there's a defect / issue with a weight that sits on top of the gearbox that stops vibrations, including this whining noise. They don't believe there is any issue with the gearbox itself. They are currently liaising with Peugeot to try and get a replacement (and presumably modified) weight ordered, but apparently there's no spare part number for this part at present. Sounds to me like there could be some delay before the necessary part is readily available. However, this is an interesting development and I hope to speak in person to the technician who's been looking at my car when I go to collect it tomorrow. I'll post further updates as I get them.
Chris_oliebollen

Post by Chris_oliebollen »

This looks promising. I have done an another test with the mechanic and he will compare again with an another similar 5008 to check if this is an abnormal noise (this is for me anyway)
I am now in holidays and will call them back to chase them for the way forward. I will mention what you just posted to them.
Thanks!
whiskeybravo

Post by whiskeybravo »

Thanks for the update Peterb
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi all

Just collected my car and managed to speak to the technician who's been dealing with it.

He told me that this particular whining noise problem is know to Peugeot as it's listed in a biannual 'book' of know issues that is available to dealers. The suggested cure is the addition of a vibration-dampening weight on top of the gearbox. (Correction to my posting from yesterday - there is NOT currently a weight on top of the gearbox. The suggested cure is the ADDITION of a weight.)

However, this weight has not currently been released as a spare part (and perhaps hasn't even been designed yet?). The technician told me that once a solution has been officially released by Peugeot, and a suitable spare part is available, then this will be detailed in a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) which will go out to all dealers.

My technician is currently trying to make contact with "Peugeot Technical" to find out if-and-when a spare part and TSB will be released. I'm guessing that the more dealers who ask the same question of Peugeot Technical the better, in terms of pushing this along.

My technician didn't think that this issue would result in a recall as it doesn't affect the safety or performance of the car... but he agreed that some people will find it annoying and therefore a TSB will hopefully become available that dealers can follow if a customer complains of this particular issue.

I can't fault my dealer's help with this.
Chris_oliebollen

Thanks PeterB I will relay the information to the dutch and french forums.
Chris_oliebollen

Peterb so what did you agree with the dealer? Will they contact you at one time when Peugeot manufactured the hardware?
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi Chris_oliebollen. Yes, my dealer is going to contact me when they have an update on when the fix might be ready. I will contact them if I don’t hear anything in the next four weeks or so. Either way, I’ll post here when I have an update.
Chris_oliebollen

A french 5008 owner get a bit more information. Peugeot told him that solution is expected for end of the year. His garage changed the full gearbox anyway yesterday as well while I told him last week that this would not fix the issue and peugeot was aware of the issue...
peterb

Post by peterb »

My dealer mentioned that a change of gearbox under warranty involves quite a lot of effort, not only in the physical replacement but also in the dealer seeking approval from Peugeot first. Think he said that they need to send a report to Peugeot with photos and have to strip down the whole gearbox. You’d have thought that Peugeot might have started advising dealers not to replace the gearbox when the symptom is this particular whining noise if they know that a replacement won’t fix it.