1.2 manual Gearbox

All Peugeot 3008 related discussions
Pgee

Post by Pgee »

Hi Chris,
I have a Opel Grandland X with the same 1.2 engine and gearbox from Peugeot. AND exact the same whining problem! As well as in Holland it is on German fora and in England.
I'm in a long process with Opel and ultimately they changed the gearbox but it didn't fix the whining. An independently expert looked at the problem and did know the problem is known, also with Peugeot en Citroen. The expert made a report and concluded it's not a mechanical defect but a product property. It has got to do with product tolerances, whatever that means.
Now I'm waiting what this conclusion means?

mahay

Post by mahay »

it means that it works properly and it'll never be changed/ fixed/replaced or whatever :)
we'll just need to get used with this annoying noise and hopefully we can sell the cars to someone that cannot spot it. :)
I've already changed my driving habits and always avoid 60kmph, I'm doing 57-59 or 66-67 :)

Good luck and hopefully we'll not meet here in 3 years with exploded gearboxes
Chris_oliebollen

Post by Chris_oliebollen »

Apparently Peugeot do not sell GT line 5008 with manual gear anymore.
Why they do not recognise the problem in DK while I received an official mail from Peugeot that they do recognise the problem. I can forward you the mail if it can help you.
Chris_oliebollen

Well I do the same I avoid the 62 km/h 😂
This really sucks. If they do not fix the problem, I believe this will be my last Peugeot ever and will be glad to give it back at the end of 4 years lease contract....
It is good to test your patience though and learn to stay zen, there are more worse things in life.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi all

Little update from me...

At the end of July I posted a message saying that Peugeot were apparently aware of this gearbox whine issue, and that my dealer was trying to get hold of a vibration-dampening weight to fit to the gearbox.

This remains the case as of today, and my dealer is struggling to get hold of this part, or indeed in finding out when the part might become available.

What I have managed to see is this exact whine issue detailed in a technical book that Peugeot issue to dealers. The description of the cause was something along the lines of 'machining of the gears' and 'poor power train filtration', and I think it mentioned that the gearbox design has subsequently been modified.

The solution for affected gearboxes already fitted to cars was indeed as described by my dealer, i.e. the 'fitting of a weight'.

My dealer has raised a technical ticket with 'Peugeot Technical' and they mentioned that the more dealers who raise a similar ticket the better in terms of the part becoming available.
Chris_oliebollen

Ticket is open and no news yet.
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

Hi All,

I have an update on our gearbox whine problem and would appreciate any advice as what to do next.
The car did go into the dealership for checks to be carried out as required by Peugeot Technical and the conclusion was the whine is caused by an engine mount and the dealership would be it touch when this part is available.

We heard nothing until my wife phoned the dealership on the 8th Sept and asked for an update and was told there was nothing outstanding and no recall and advised to phone Peugeot customer care. I phoned customer care the next day, explained who I was and why I was phoning. Customer Care had no record of my earlier call when they took all the details and allegedly logged it on their system. After giving all the details again the customer care representative said she would speak to her manager and contact me again. I received an email the same afternoon explaining they had spoken to the dealership and they had advised that the whining noise from the gearbox is a “product definition”, whatever that is. Customer care also checked the response from their technical department, they advised that the whining noise is a normal operating noise. The email also said they will be archiving my request.

I now intend to speak to the dealership again and if I can, to Peugeot technical. Just feel like we are completely be fobbed off.

Not sure where to go from here, any suggestions?
Chris_oliebollen

Hi Did your dealer open a ticket with Technical peugeot desk?
This is what must be done
Chris_oliebollen

I received an email stating that solution will be available at the end of the year. I am not sure if I should believe it but I am still waiting. You should push the dealer to keep a ticket open
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

Hi Chris,

I went back to the dealership and after talking it through with them they did confirm that the checks carried in conjunction with Peugeot technical indicated a problem with the engine mount and confirmed Peugeot were working on a solution.
I then went back to Peugeot customer care and asked them to re-open the my case reference as there was no resolution to the problem, which they did. Customer care then spoke to Peugeot technical and came back to me with '"Technical have advised that they're looking at modifying the engine mount but this has no times scale. I have no influence on time scale for this and therefore there's nothing further I can look into. I'd recommend contacting the dealership for further updates as they'll be the first to receive future updates. I'll now be archiving your request but this can be reopened using the reference number below."
So the rubbish excuses for the noise given by the dealership saying "the whining noise coming from the gearbox is a product definition" and Peugeot technical saying "the whining noise is a normal operating noise" is absolute rubbish. Not confident they will work on a solution as it feels like we are being fobbed off again. Good job we have 3 years warranty.