1.2 manual Gearbox

All Peugeot 3008 related discussions
Mundo7

Post by Mundo7 »

Just wanted to add to this - got a Grandland 2 months ago and the same sound is heard at 40mph (UK). Took it back to Lookers Vauxhall and they replaced the gearbox apparently, straight away drove out of the place and as soon as I got to 38mph I could hear it again.

Not a clue whether they’ve actually done anything but no change in the sound at all

Chris_oliebollen

Post by Chris_oliebollen »

They changed my gearbox back in July this year but the noise is still there.
Rob B after how many miles / kms did the shield break?
They confirmed that it was due to the gearbox?
Also if they installed a new gearbox (new type?) , this is strange that the noise disappeared because it did not work for at least 5 of us. If they found how to fix it then I can call my garage but would be nice to know a bit more about what they did? Thanks for the information.
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

Hi Chris, The car has done less than 2000 miles and its now been a couple of weeks since the gearbox was changed. The heat shield did not break but came loose, it was my conclusion that the vibration caused by the noisy gearbox rattled the heat shield loose. I don't know what Peugeot did to the new gearbox but compared to the old one, which sounded like a bag of nails, is so much quieter. I can only suggest you contact your garage for them to speak directly to Peugeot to get some honest answers.
Kuraulla

Post by Kuraulla »

Hi all,
Greetings from Germany :)

I own 3008 1.2, manual. Car is from August 2018, but I own it for 2 months and 700km.

I do not hear that noise, luckily.
But, shifting from 1st to 2nd is absolutely horrible.
Sometimes it goes OK, sometimes it goes with noise and some sort of rattling noise. like when you try to shift when a clutch is not pressed properly.

When I slowly accelerate and shift slowly (with small break between gears) it is OK.
When accelerate quickly, it is horrible.

I scheduled an appointment in Peugeot service in 7 days, but I am wondering did someone else faced same problem and what dealership said about it?
Robert75

Post by Robert75 »

Just joined this forum as I have the same horrible whining noise which starts when speed drops to 43mph. It’s most loud at 39mph and is not too noticeable below 30mph.
I have a GT line 3008 which was delivered new in September 2018.
I’m pretty sure I noticed this whine on the first day but assumed it was normal. However it is now starting to really irritate me. It doesn’t matter what gear the car is in. Even if I put the car in neutral it is there as long as the car is moving between 30-43mph.
I do believe the noise is also present below 30mph but the frequency of it is lower and not so annoying.
Sometimes quick acceleration makes it disappear for a few seconds.
I’ve had the car over a year and I don’t think it has got any worse and from what people say on here it doesn’t seem to be doing any significant damage. Could be a resonance thing. I really don’t want to take the car in and have it cannibalised because I’m worried that would cause further problems as it seems there is not a solution to this.
I really like the car but this whine is so annoying and a real shame.
Robert75

Post by Robert75 »

Anyone achieved any success with the noise issue?
Is there a solution or is it simply a case selling car and getting rid? I can even hear the 30-44mph whine over music now.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Update from UK... Having first reported the gearbox whine to my dealer last summer, and waited patiently since, I've just received a call from my dealer to say that they will replace the whole gearbox. This wasn't at my request - they've just offered to do this. Apparently this is what they've been advised to do by Peugeot. This all tallies with @Rob B's posting from Dec 3rd 2019. My car's due its annual service in March anyway, so I might try and have both jobs done then. I will report back when the new gearbox has been fitted.

@Rob B - would you say that your new gearbox has cured the whine problem completely?
larin

Post by larin »

Update from CZ, In early December, I complained again about the gearbox noise of the seller, the seller sent technical inquiries to the manufacturer in France. The manufacturer has not yet responded. I think they have no solution for this defect and are waiting for the vehicle warranty to expire and it will no longer be their problem. I doubt that there will ever be a TSB to solve this problem. They will have to repair all models in the PSA group that have this engine and manual gearbox. Small "gearboxgate" for PSA?
Robert75

Post by Robert75 »

Well if they can’t solve the problem it would at least be good to know if the noise is causing any harm. Will it get louder as time goes by? Will it start to occur over a wider range of speeds? at the moment it’s roughly 27-44mph.
My worry is that the vibration / oscillation must be causing stress on bearings etc and will eventually make the noise worse.
Robert75

Post by Robert75 »

I wonder if it’s the gearbox making the noise after all?
The whine still appears with clutch depressed and there should be nothing in the gearbox moving with it depressed.
So where is the whine coming from?
Could it actually be the differential and not the gearbox?