1.2 manual Gearbox

All Peugeot 3008 related discussions
Maniek

Post by Maniek »

@Mahay It is real that nothing will happen. For me at a mileage of 8000 km is more audible

mahay

Post by mahay »

unfortunately this is the ugly truth.
Few of the UK guys got their issue fix but it's all about the dealer. if he wants to help you then you'll get the ticket to Peugeot, if not then they'll state that it's a normal functional sound.
Lesson learn, don't testdrive an automatic and buy a manual gearbox :)

I've already extended my warranty to 6 years. Will see if the it proves that the gearbox was a bust
mridley

Post by mridley »

As the original post creator thought i'd give you all an update,

I had the gearbox replaced when the car was only a couple of months, the garage was a complete nightmare to deal with!! The new gearbox wasn't really any better and as Peugeot said "it was characteristic of the car" I hit a brick wall, the dealer refused to do anything further with the car. I even asked them the question " why would anyone make a car in 2019 with an intentional whine in the gearbox, they totally agreed with me and had no further comment.

The car has now done just over 13k, the whine is still there although a lot better than it was which is still totally unacceptable!! From this post and others i read replacing the gearbox DOES NOT seem to cure the problem, if you're lucky it maybe be better which is something you have to live with.
Robert75

Post by Robert75 »

They don’t really know what it is without dismantling the whole car. Some other component is putting pressure on the gearbox in some strange way in a few cars causing it to make the whine. Could even be the shape of the frame is
Not quite right and causing a distortion of some kind. Replacing the gearbox will do nothing.
The only way to be sure you will not have a noise is to replace the whole car with one that has an automatic gearbox.
larin

Post by larin »

On my car, the gearbox has been changed twice. So I already have a third gearbox. According to the dealer, it is an innovated part. The sound is still heard at a speed of about 60km / h, only a small improvement. Dealer is willing to replace the transmission again, but I was warned that it could be worse. After the second exchange, the shift of the 1st and 2nd degree was problematic. After the third gearbox change, is shift OK. I don't know if the PSA will ever solve it.
Maniek

Post by Maniek »

Nobody knew that a manual transmission would cause problems. The car service explains this with a vibrating differential. That is not normal!
I made a summary with a list of those having a problem:

mridley
molusc
tamzin
fitzbilly
Tennis Pro
whiskybravo
Alexrowe12
peterb
duński
mpolov
Dmj58
peterb
Prawdziwy inżynier
Mahay
Loque
Chris_oliebollen
Eddie4
Rob B.
larin
Pgee
Pezakas
Mundo7
Robert75
Canalview98
msrk
Lock-N
Mrlee321
blasterbates
Stanman
Jovack
Robert75

Post by Robert75 »

That’s a shocking number of cases on this forum alone. Must be so many others with the same problem. A problem that seems to have no solution either.
Robert75

Post by Robert75 »

That’s a shocking number of cases on this forum alone. Must be so many others with the same problem. A problem that seems to have no solution either.
Robert75

Post by Robert75 »

My advice for anyone buying a new or secondhand 3008 with manual gearbox is listen very carefully for an unusual whine between 30-40mph. Try a few cars and compare. The noise with mine got progressively worse over time. It was not right from Day 1 brand new.
mahay

Post by mahay »

again..it might be just me but on mine it started on being less louder. or it does that on the summer time when it's hotter.
will see in time what happens. with 6 years of warranty there's enough time for the gearbox to break if there was for component that was poorly designed.

keep in touch!