Which engine size to get?

New to the Peugeot 3008 Forums? Introduce yourself here
PCao

Post by PCao »

hi, I'm looking to get a new 3008 gt line premium but can't decide on the engine size. Probably only do 10k miles per year so leaning towards a petrol. I test drove the 1.6 petrol automatic and quite liked it. Looking at reviews, a lot of experts suggest the 1.2 petrol is the top pick (but maybe not in automatic). What do people think about the best engine 1.2 petrol auto or manual vs 1.6 petrol? Does the 1.2 auto feel like it lacks speed compared to manual? (Which is what I read somewhere). Would love to know what people think who have driven the different engines.

John2

Post by John2 »

I've got a GT Line 1.2 auto 6-speed. I've never driven the 1.2 manual, but power wise the car compares well with the Astra 1.6 manual it replaced.
PCao

Post by PCao »

Thanks John2, that's interesting and useful to know. I'm not too bothered about going super quick these days but a bit of speed and power is nice, and didn't want something that felt too slow and sluggish.
craigb25

Post by craigb25 »

Hello (its my first post!)

Ive recently just took delivery of the 1.2 Manual in GT Line Premium form. I find the engine great and what Peugeot have done to it to make it feel so refined is great. My previous cat was a Seat Leon 2.0TDI with 184BHP (DSG) which was pretty quick, however I haven't felt like ive stepped into anything majorly underpowered.

So when I was test driving cars before lockdown, I drove the

1.2 Manual
1.2 EAT8
1.6 EAT6

Ill start with the automatics, the 1.2 EAT8 appeared to hesitate when pulling away in 1st gear and I found that it changed gear too often. The flappy paddles on the steering wheel, seemed to be a delay from pressing and it changing. Not what i was used to coming from a DSG box. Engine wise it did feel refined and didnt rev too noisy.
Ther 1.6 EAT6, this just felt under powered when compared to the 1.2. I think it was down on 10BHP. I also noticed the noise of the engine when driving. If you plan on doing loads of motorway miles then this may be the better option to just sit and cruise.

The 1.2 Manual for me was the obvious choice. Mainly commuter miles (well was) and the odd motorway trip and a planned average 10,000 miles a year. The gear box is decent. The gears are close, so you have a sporty feel to the changes. 1st gear gets you off the mark quickly which is great for junctions. 2nd, 3rd and 4th have a nice decent pull. Engine is quiet and refined, especially when cruising. The thing that sold it for me is that it doesn't feel like a 1.2 3 cylinder engine. It feels much bigger, suits the car well in my opinion. Ive not missed my previous car yet!

Hope that helps.

cheers
Craig
PCao

Post by PCao »

Thanks Craig that's really useful.
I've also got a seat Leon but not so fast 1.6tdi manual one. Love the car but wanting a bigger one due to 2nd child on the way.

I quite fancy getting an auto and i test drove the 1.6 EAT8 and liked it but thinking of going for the 1.2 EAT8 as its cheaper and I don't particularly need that much power and speed these days. With your concerns about the 1.2 auto pulling off slowly, did you feel this was a minor issue or a big deal?
John2

Post by John2 »

Never been a problem for me (1.2 EAT6 auto).
Old Salt

Post by Old Salt »

Some 1.2 pure tech manual gearbox has a whining noise which Peugeot are struggling to get to grips with. I have a 1.5 Bluehdi EAT8 and can confirm that it is a brilliant, smooth gearbox.
deccadick

Post by deccadick »

I am very pleased with my 2018 !.2 EAT6, ample oomph and gearbox superb. Next car will be the 1.2 EAT8 for sure.
JeffG

Post by JeffG »

Just got my first EAT8 1.2 and OK it does lack a little bit of power from a standing start, but if you need to put your foot down it's very responsive. I'm still looking forward to getting mine into 8th gear which doesn't seem to have happened yet!
PCao

Post by PCao »

I've decided on a EAT8 1.2, should be here in about 2 weeks. Can't wait!