1.2 manual Gearbox

All Peugeot 3008 related discussions
JamesM09

Post by JamesM09 »

I recently purchased a used (< 1 year) 1.2 3008 manual. It has the whining noise as described by other in this forum. i.e. between 30-40 mph when my foot comes off the accelerator.

While the noise doesn't annoy me, it is the type of noise that will annoy many and they are completely justified. It is unacceptable IMO.

However I think because many will hear it like I do, it will be hard to get dealers or Peugeot to take action on it until there is a cheap and cheerful fix. I would be very careful buying a manual 3008. Apart from the whine, the general quality of my gearbox is poor - a shame because otherwise it is an exceptional car.

Robert75

Post by Robert75 »

I was distracted by the noise and was losing concentration while driving because of it.
The car simply had to go.
In all other respects I liked the car but I have lost all faith in the manual gearbox. Even a new gearbox did not solve the issue.

I now have an automatic 3008 and am very pleased with it.
mahay

Post by mahay »

hey Robert,

Just curious, did you had it sale to another person, had a buyback or was the lease over?
:)
@James, is not about the 3008's manual gearbox. It's the same on 2008, 208,5008 or Grandland X, crossland or C5 aircross.
It might be just a matter of perception as this gearbox is installed on tens of thousands cars and only few users are actually complain about it.
This might be the reason for which Peugeot doesn't get a fix for it. it's just too isolated on just few units .
Robert75

Post by Robert75 »

I did a deal with the dealership which in effect meant selling the car back to them and buying an Automatic version from them.
Maniek

Post by Maniek »

@Robert75
Car replacement is a solution to the problem, but probably not all dealers will accept such conditions. There is also a loss in value of the car that must be paid for
jess7th

Post by jess7th »

Hi all,

Same noise with mine (1.2 manual bought 2019 in Greece).
Same excuse from dealer 'they are all like this'.

Came back to this forum after a year or so and see many more replies unfortunately!
Next time I visit them I will mention it again to see if they are aware of any official news.

@peterb: do you mind sharing the ticket number from your case? Don't know if my dealership can see it though..
Robert75

Post by Robert75 »

I just wish everyone who test drives a 3008 1.2 manual could be aware of the issue beforehand and check to see if the car is making the dreaded noise. Also when you pick your new car up you should listen for the noise and you have the rights for a full refund with no questions asked if you return it straight away.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi @jess7th. Afraid I don't have any ticket details for my case. All dialogue was directly between my dealer and what they called 'Peugeot Technical'.
Quick update on my gearbox which was replaced in March - as per my last post, the new gearbox is definitely better than the original, both in terms of the whine and also being smoother in the lower gears. However it's not perfect and the whine is still slightly apparent, but much less so and it doesn't bother me now. I remember the 'master technician' at my dealer who dealt with my case saying that Peugeot had identified the cause of the whine and modified the gearbox design accordingly.
Maniek

Post by Maniek »

Hi, I don't remember if anyone changed the gearbox and it was better same as @peterb?
Robert75

Post by Robert75 »

My gearbox was changed and they told me the noise was still there and they could not fix it