Cam Belt Perishing

All Peugeot 3008 related discussions
Timbowyc

Post by Timbowyc »

Has anyone else had this issue where fragments of the cam belt have got into the engine & caused damage .

My 2017 3008 1.2 Allure is currently sat in the dealership . Unfortunately running on a skeleton staff it means that they won’t have a master technician to look at it for 2 weeks or how long it may take to fix when they do get a technician but apparently worst case scenario is a completed new engine 😫

deccadick

Post by deccadick »

Hi,
Prior to buying my 1.2 Allure EAT6 in August 2018 I found 3 papers on the 1.2 egines development. One of them namely
"press-kit_eb-turbo-puretech_en.pdf" contains the following verbage regarding engine timing,
"Timing - 2 composite tubular camshafts, driven by "wet lubrication" timing belts"
I may be wrong but I took this to mean that the cam belts are running in the engine oil. If this is so then fragments of the belt could well be in the oil.
Timbowyc

Post by Timbowyc »

Yes it appears that this is the case & I may be without my car for a while
Timbowyc

Post by Timbowyc »

Update :- Garage has had car since 1st June haven’t touch it yet . Two other 3008 with exactly the same problem waiting to be done at same time . May get the car back by August
John2

Post by John2 »

I had that. Seems to have been caused by oil getting on to the belt. I took it to the nearest dealer the first time the message appeared. They said they couldn't find anything wrong and it probably wouldn't happen again. It did, and I took it back, with the same result. Next time it happened I took it to another dealer, who were excellent. They told me I must not start the engine, never mind drive it. It needed a new oil pump and cam belt. They kept it for 10 days (waiting for parts) but gave me an equivalent hire car, and fixed it under warranty.

Peugeot dealers seem to be very variable in quality and reliability.
Timbowyc

Post by Timbowyc »

Finally got the car back mid July like you new cam belt , pump etc fitted . The dealership told me they’d had 20 in since January . Even though my warranty had expired during their shut down due to Covid 19 they carried out the work free of charge . Apparently the cam belt should have lasted 80k miles mine had done half that
John2

Post by John2 »

Mine had only done around 5k when it needed replacing. I wonder how many have had the belt fail completely and needed a new engine as a result. It would be very dangerous if it happened on the outside lane on a motorway.
mrjp

Post by mrjp »

Hi
I have an issue with oil pressure warning on my 2017 3008 1.2 GT Line. The dreaded spanner has also appeared. My local garage has seen a small drop in oil pressure, but reading these posts it seems that there may be a consistent problem. Any recommendations on resolution - is this a belt and oil pump change. Just checking if the warranty has expired...............
Thanks
Jon
paddywack1878

Post by paddywack1878 »

i was going to buy one of these cars but the faults are ridiculous...and to think the 2017 jd power survey puts the peugeot near the top of the list, cam belts going at 5k ffs... can anyone tell me why i should just walk away and buy a skoda.
Knighty

Post by Knighty »

Same here, hoping to change our Suzuki Vitara which has been ultra reliable but reading about engine and gearbox issues I think a Peugeot 3008 is off the list. I know forums highlight small percentage faults but reading about the faults and how Peugeot dealers deal with them doesn't brim me with confidence.